Cancer prevention and cancer control are complex and multidimensional challenges for all countries around the globe. The Cancer Control Course for Oncology Professionals is one of the capacity building activities to overcome these challenges, which has been made possible through the collaborative partnership between the Research for Health in Conflict in the Middle East and North Africa (R4HC-MENA) programme and the 23rd Turkish National Cancer Congress.
The Cancer Control Course for Oncology Professionals was conducted on 17th April 2019 at the start of the Turkish National Cancer Congress in Antalya. This Course was designed to increase awareness of the benefits of cancer control planning and to scale up the capacity of oncology professionals in Turkey with the purpose of promoting national cancer control planning and implementation through a multi-sectoral approach.
This course was facilitated by a diverse range of experts, including UICC past president, past directors of the Turkish Cancer Control Department & cancer registries, the head of an NGO working for cancer control in Turkey, public health professors, epidemiologists, as well as a representative from the Ministry of Health.
The course was conducted in English and the following topics were covered by the instructors:
- Introduction to Cancer Control –Tezer Kutluk
- Global Overview of Cancer Picture – Tezer Kutluk
- The Elements of the Cancer Control Programmes – Tezer Kutluk
- Lessons Learnt from the Last Experience in Turkey – Murat Gültekin
- Need for Data: Cancer Registry & Turkish Experience – Sultan Eser
- Prevention Strategies within the Cancer Control Context – Mutlu Hayran
- Screening & Implementation of Cancer Screening Tools – Murat Gültekin
- Treatment for All & Need for Palliative Care – Tezer Kutluk
- The Role of Research in Cancer Control – Fahad Ahmed
- Evaluation of the Cancer Control Programmes – Nejat Özgül
- The Role of Civil Society Organisations in Cancer Control – Şuayib Yalçın
- Political Aspects of Cancer Control –Tezer Kutluk
There were 41 participants in this course, who were selected from different regions across Turkey. All participants were healthcare professionals and researchers working in oncology settings that are critical to the development and implementation of a national cancer control plan. Participants appreciated this course for its focused and concise nature. All attendees received a certificate for completing the course.
Dr Fahad Ahmed, R4HC-MENA Programme Manager Turkey