The COVID-19 Forecast in Northwest Syria: The Imperative of Global Action to Avoid Catastrophe
May 6 @ 3:00 pm - 5:00 pm
The World Health Organization (WHO)’s coronavirus response in northwest Syria has been inadequate, and new forecasting shows that the WHO has severely underestimated the risks of an outbreak to Idlib’s largely displaced population.
This Wednesday 6th May, you’re invited to join a webinar cohosted by The Syria Campaign with Dr Munzer al-Khalil, the director of Idlib Health Directorate, and Syrian public health experts who led on the new research ‘The COVID-19 Forecast in Northwest Syria: The Imperative of Global Action to Avoid Catastrophe’. The webinar starts at 10am ET (3pm BST / 4pm Berlin / 5pm Damascus), please do register in advance here: https://us02web.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_zc8hLAQFRTi3HThfX1LTiw
Idlib’s medical infrastructure has been devastated by years of deliberate targeting by Russia and the Syrian regime. The researchers will explain the severe challenges of preventing coronavirus in Idlib, based on their new forecasting, the inadequacies of the WHO’s response even in relation to its own conservative modelling; and the obstacles medics must urgently overcome to procure ventilators and PPE, as well as usable buildings for the coronavirus response.
- Dr Munzer al-Khalil, Head of Idlib Health Directorate
- Dr Mahmoud Hariri, Director, Health Information System Unit in Northwest Syria
- Dr Aula Abbara, infectious diseases research fellow and co-chair of the Syria Public Health Network
- Hazem Rihawi, Senior Programs Manager, American Relief Coalition For Syria (ARCS)
- Jomana Qaddour, co-founder of Syria Relief and Development
Please register in advance here:
There will be time for questions, and you are welcome to submit questions in advance to email@example.com